[California] Getting Started With More Than Conferences

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Mon Nov 9 18:04:38 EST 2009

Landon Blake wrote:
> I sent the message below form my personal e-nail on October 7, 2009. I
> guess it got bumped. So I am trying again.
>
> Landon

Landon,

Seeing your post on Ubuntu CA list made me remember a similar side
project(Building software packages for Ubuntu Linux). I wanted to try
and build a deb package for spatialite. Once I learn how to do it, I
would also be interested in helping you get any other FOSS GIS apps
packaged and uploaded the the ubuntugis repositories on Launchpad.net.

Not sure if this should really be a Chapter thing, since I know many of
you use other operating systems besides Ubuntu, but it does directly
feed into the OSGeo Live Demo project which I helped build recently and
we used to demo at NACIS.

So it might be worthwhile. Maybe we should think about doing a chapter
"sprint" in a few months to spend a day together making svg icons,
packaging software and figuring out who to award for their work on Open
Data. Could be our yearly meeting for 2010 requirement too.

Thanks,
Alex