[California] Cartography Sprint - Public Domain Symbology

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Tue Nov 16 21:38:20 EST 2010

As part of GIS day, Wed. November 17th a few of us at the University of
California, Davis will be getting together to work on converting some
symbols. Our focus is on getting US government agencies symbologies,
which is public domain, into SVG format for use in programs like QGIS
(That's what we'll be testing against).

I'm taking requests if anyone else has symbols they want to see
converted, please add it to the list or email me:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_map_symbol_set#Available_Material

This 1/2 day event is a test run for future events where we can mass
convert, tag and sort a large library of symbols.

There are a few things I hope that we'll discuss tomorrow and in the
future on the graphics at lists.osgeo.org. The first is how to sort or tag
symbols. Since symbols can be of a certain type but also belong to a set
it will be good to find away to allow for this without having to store
symbols twice.
Second would be what size and format to store symbols in. Initially I'm
thinking about how to store both inkscape and plain svg (and comparing
them) along with batch auto-generation of png versions so that those
won't have to be in a repository.

Sorry for the short notice. I look forward to any input from the lists.

Thanks,
Alex