[California] Cartography Sprint

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Thu Oct 28 19:27:12 EDT 2010

I've brought it up before, but this time I think it'll actually happen.

So here's what I'm thinking:
The week of Nov 15-19 is GeoAwareness week, with Nov 17 being GIS day.
Both of these things are heavily sponsored by National Geographic and
ESRI and have been going on for years.
On the 19th I'm proposing that a few of us get together to do some
collaboration similar to a code sprint. We could do it in multiple small
groups linked via the internet, one large group and other joining
remotely etc. I am offering to host at UC Davis - room/internet

The focus will be on converting the vast number of Public Domain
iconography out there from things like USGS, USDA (NFS), NPS and other
public agencies with a history of mapping to usable symbology primarily
for QGIS but would also work for mapserver, mapnik, etc.

The only tool we really need is Inkscape. And the only experience people
need can be taught in 5-10 minutes.

It's good timing because we're doing a Cartography class at Davis this
quarter (I know Berkeley is too). So I'm hoping to rope in a bunch of
students for a couple of hours at a time keep momentum the whole day.

If you're interested in participating in this event in person or
remotely please let me know. Also if you know of any icons that could
use some converting I'm beginning to collect pdfs, urls etc
Given time and participants we may dabble into creating new line types
and fill patterns too.

Thanks,
Alex