[California] Hacker Dojo and GIS Day

Brian Hamlin maplabs at light42.com
Fri Oct 26 17:22:29 PDT 2012

Hi All -

   quick update on GIS Day in Berkeley at the College of Natural
Resources..

I spoke with Kevin Koy twice now, the Geospatial information Lab
manager. Kevin is gathering possibilities for posters and talks, and
will start the final schedule around November 1st. Ragi suggested
that we have an 'OSGeo Track' - which sounds good to me too - but
rooms may be hard to come by on that day, for unrelated reasons. So
no word yet..

If you are going to be in the Berkeley Area on GIS Day and you are
knowledgeable enough to hold a talk, or want to do a short, hands on
sort of thing, say 30 minutes, on an OSGeo related topic, then please
speak up and I can forward it all to Kevin .. as mentioned on the
list it is probably a good thing to consolidate our events so we do
not dilute attendance..  btw, It is always a good idea to promote
your own talk to your community, too.. no point in going to a lot of
work and then having sparse attendance..

There will be a presence from BAAMA, ASPRS and the Berkeley graduate
students as always, more possible and unconfirmed.. I personally
always like to see what the natural science people are doing,
generally in the form of posters.. If *you* want to make a poster on
a topic of your choice, poster printing is available at the GIF lab;
contact myself or Kevin Koy for more info on sizes and price. Poster
design goes from the sublime to the awful, but almost always
interesting research topics.  :-)     I did an OSGeo poster one
year.. new submissions welcome

in the past I have always made LiveDVDs and made them available, but
I am still trying to find the right formula to get general interest.
It is pretty nerdy!  Berkeley grad students in particular are under a
lot of time pressure and often do not want to get started on
something they see as time consuming, it seems.
    I do not have Live DVDs printed this year and despite Landon's
generous offer, I am not in a huge hurry to print more *yet* unless
we get a new plan to get them in to people's hand in a way that is
compelling.. (also the PostGIS version is not 2.0 so I am less intent
this time around :-)

anything else ?
best regards

Brian Hamlin