[California] Berkeley Booth on Thursday

maplabs at light42.com maplabs at light42.com
Sat Dec 14 08:58:20 PST 2013

Hi All -

  as previously mentioned, I had the opportunity to present the Live
and mapping at a poster session here:

http://newscenter.berkeley.edu/2013/12/13/big-turnout-for-launch-of-big-data-center/

The writeup is largely accurate.. however I can fill in some personal
observations.. The woman Katy in the picture with Tim OReilly was
directly across the aisle from me.. She is going to be program chair
for SciPy again this year, in Austin 2014. Katy said that "geo data is
going to be one of the two themes for the conference - do you know
anybody ... " !!  So that was humorous.. "a lot of people are aking
about geo data" says she..   I did point out that OSGeo has a
speakers page here

    http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Advocate

Another humorous bit is that I called the office of Tim OReilly before
the show, and left a message that OSGeo was going to be there.. Tim did
listen I think, because in his allotted four minutes on stage, he told
a story about maps.. the punchline to his story was, that he thinks
maps will "disappear" into consumer products that do the searching and
such for you.. I think that misses the point, in that geodata will be
embedded all the way through, whether you see a map or not.. (pun
intended)  Tim is a complex person however, and many of the other
things he said were indeed thought provoking and showed unique
insight..Maybe Tim was thinking about his own Where 2.0 Conference
which "disappeared" when he said that !! who knows..

  Lastly, the sort of round'ish fellow in the day-glow green t-shirt
is Dav Clark, with whom I have had a few discussions. I think at the
practitioner level, the grad students and post-docs do get the geo data
story quite well, and have a healthy respect for the software stack
that implements it. I will confess that the depth and detail of the
particular Berkeley posters emphasizing maps, made me realize once
again that the map is only the beginning.

  Speaking of which - I did have a chance to wander the American
Geophysical Union (AGU) hall for two hours on the last day of the show.
I saw the posters hall.. at least three thousand full scientific
posters.. not kidding.. Two talks on field surveys of agriculture in
Russia, but sadly the exhibition hall was already closed.  Every
single talk, poster, product and research area involved maps, as you
can imagine. The same comments apply here - the map is just the start..

  best regards from Berkeley, California

--
Brian M Hamlin
OSGeo California Chapter