[California] Preparing for 2015 Annual Meeting

Brian M Hamlin maplabs at light42.com
Wed Oct 15 12:43:38 PDT 2014

Once years ago, I did a study of the Commonwealth Club, for our
nonprofit at the time.. There are a few things to say right off..

* people will meet if the content is compelling
* people will meet if there seems to be benefit in the social network
* people have to know about the event in some way..
etc..

however, in the case of the Commonwealth Club, a decades old, very
large .org.. one thing I found in common with the nearly many dozen
events-per-month was.. food.. Almost every event, be it a promotional
speaker or author, to book clubs, to panel discussions, and more..
every event had some kind of predictable food/drink approach.. and some
kind of fee too actually..

I believe that the NorthWest'ers basically go straight to a bar for
their geo meetings.. I dont think they try to make a formal meeting
much, though I dont know..  I might be biased a bit, since I dont go
to bars.. but on casual inspection it appears that way..

Here in the SF Bay Area, it is clearly the "seedling in the forest of
giants" .. the biggest tech in the world is here, and the tens of
thousands of people in those companies have their own timeline and
pressures... it is not obvious how to make a local chapter meeting
compelling in the midst of all of this very large scale activity

best from Berkeley
 -Brian