A snag in terms of creating the polygons

Dan Putler putler at sauder.ubc.ca
Mon Sep 25 11:58:05 EDT 2006

Hi All,

The original R script I wrote to create a polygon out of the road
segments plus hand digitalized "fill-in" boundaries didn't work as
well as I planed. The problem is that the vector vertices are not in
the correct order (they are in a complete hodge-podge, resulting in
the creation of an improper polygon for an FSA). My guess is that if
I run the vertices through a radial sort, things will work. This
weekend I wrote a radial sort function for R, trying to emulate the
standard C approach to this algorithm. It works, it just is _really_
slow. I'm going to try a couple of other approaches (that are more R
like in their implementation), and see if it speed things up. If that
doesn't work, I'll break down and implement the sorting in C.

Dan