[RNFdev] Not a pretty picture

Dan Putler putler at sauder.ubc.ca
Mon Sep 25 18:50:44 EDT 2006

Hi Frank,

I assume that a shapefile is a reasonable format. To that end, I've
attached the shapefile with the boundary linear features for the K2W
postal code.

The linear features (road segments) that are not ordered within the
layer. Specifically, two adjoining road segments for the same street
do not follow one another in the original StatsCan RNF. They are, in
fact, randomly ordered. Probably to make things render in a more
attractive fashion. However, the first point of one road segment is
the same as the last point of the preceding road segment for that
street (road segments run intersection to intersection). I did not
use this information in my script (which simply grabs the vertices of
the line features), but I can see that it could be used order the
road segments. Where things break down is for linear features that I
have digitalized. They represent non-road boundaries that are not in
the RNF itself. These features can be identified since they have a
NAME attribute of "Fill", and have a value for the RD_SEG field that
is greater than 3000.

Dan