[Can_rnf] Finally some progress to report

Dan Putler putler at sauder.ubc.ca
Thu May 10 16:48:40 EDT 2007

Hi All,

I now have a proof of concept augmented road network file. At this
point it only for Greater Vancouver, but that covers roughly half the
population base of of BC, and roughly a quarter of all road segments
(and probably over one-third of addressed ranged segment) in the
province. Over the next week I should have of BC completed.  I've
uploaded the file the the CanRNF Google group site: http://
groups.google.com/group/canadarnf?hl=en. If interested, you can
download the file from there, which is labeled GVRD_RNF_2006.zip.
Although, Frank, you'll need to register for the group. I've also
created a PAGC schema file for it as well (StatsCan2006.dbf), which
I've also put on the CanRNF group site. The file has four fields
added to it MUNI_LE, MUNI_RG, FSA_LE, and FSA_RG. The MUNI_LE and
MUNI_RG are the municipality the road segment falls in on both the
left and right side. At the moment, these two fields are one in the
same. For Greater Vancouver, where this is a problem is for Boundary
Road (the Vancouver/Burnaby boarder) and 120th Street (the Delta/
Surrey boarder). Having these fields correct will require hand
cleaning, which I haven't done yet. The municipality of a segment is
attached via StatsCan 2006 CSD polygon layer (which is under the same
license as the RNF itself). The FSA's (FSA_LE and FSA_RG) are
assigned using representative points for the FSA. I started with the
Natural Resources Canada FSA centroids available as a GeoConnections
web service, and altered them based on "eyeballing" the Canada Post
FSA maps. For a number of FSAs, I put in multiple representative
points, making sure that FSAs that were elongated were adequately
"represented" and this seems to have worked pretty well based on my
limited testing of geocoding with this file. Trying to build the FSA
polygons was a really difficult process. Oddly enough, cleaning the
road segments over time for improperly assigned segments might
provide an easier way to create a FSA polygon layer at some point.

To give you a feel for what I've done, I've attached a screen shot
where the road segments differ in colour based on municipality.

Dan