[Carto] GSS for styling

Dane Springmeyer dane.springmeyer at gmail.com
Mon Jun 1 12:23:05 EDT 2009

Hey Tyler,

What are the next steps for that wiki page?  Maybe we could use this
list to bat around potential directions?

I'm seeing the level of cartographic control and potential print
quality/support inch closer in many of the toolkits I use: QGIS,
Mapnik, Mapserver. (but will miles yet to go). At this point I'm
addressing the lacking features in Mapnik and QGIS by integrating the
two through a python plugin (http://bitbucket.org/springmeyer/quantumnik/
), and through doing so finding lots of places each toolkit has bugs/
could improve.

But the idea of a library that all toolkits could use seems off in the
mists still. How can we rename/re-visualize this effort to parse out
the software features needed for better cartography that are feasible,
while still maintaining a space for our highest aspirations?

Dane