[Carto] Map specifications

Miller, Craig craig.miller at spatialminds.com
Wed Apr 7 22:43:22 EDT 2010

I would think that any work on this should be done as an addition to an
existing layout manager.  I believe it was the Inkscape forums where I saw a
thread discussing the possible extension of an existing layout manager for
their application.  Perhaps this group can do the same?  I would think a
good first start would be to put together a summary of existing free/open
source layout managers.

Also, from a large plot perspective something like RTL needs to be supported
as a plotting language.  This allows really really big plots to be streamed
to a printer/plotter rather than requiring the entire file to fit into the
printer/plotters memory (a la postscript).  With a streaming format the
plotter can print/plot as it is received.

Craig

On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 6:26 PM, George Silva <georger.silva at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I would like to try to get the ball rolling, so I thought to start simple.
> I'm not familiar with Mapnik also, so please bear with me.
>
> What are the components of a map document (this are just informal ideas,
> give your opinion about them :P)
>
> "Map Metadata"
> Author
> Date/time
> Subject
> Description
>
> Size (width x height)
> Graphics (north arrow, title, other pictures, etc)
> Ordered set of "views" (I'm calling a view what would be a map inset, a map
> inside another map)
>
> Each "view" should have:
>
>       Size of map-inset
>       Extent
>       Scale
>       Projection (datasets have projections, but they can be represented in
> a different projection)
>       Ordered set of Layers
>       [Coordinate grid] (each of these should be graphic? should these be
> tied up to each "view" or they are independent map graphics?)
>       [Scale Bar]
>       [Scale Text]
>       [Legend]
>       other elements I'm missing?
>
> Since XML was mentioned by Tyler, I tried a top-bottom approach.
>
> Any ideas about these?
>
> Thank you for your patiente :P
>
> George
>
> --