[Carto] Map specifications

Carlos Gabriel Asato g_asato2000 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 8 13:40:03 EDT 2010

Dear all

This is a map schema I am using for map production in my geological survey. It works fine for maps composed of only one map frame. I made some modification trying to adapt it for a map with multiple map frames. The original program that use this scheme was made using Arc-Info AML (I have some ideas to port it to the next ARCGIS Python). This scheme does not include metadata and is a good idea to include it.

The idea behind of this scheme is try to give flexibility on styles and data source management and re-use. It works fine for model based cartography.

<map>

<page name=anything>
  <orientation>['v','h']</orientation> #if orientation is null v is default
  <page_name>['a0','a1','a2'......]</page_name>
  # if page name is not given then
  <page_size width='any number in cm' height='any number in cm'>

   <margins up='any number' down=''any number' left='any number' right='any number' units=[cm,inch,mm.....]>
  <background_color>any_color</background_color>

  <guideLine name=anything> # define guide lines or positions of simetry for placing cartographic objects
    <xplace>middlepage</xplace>
    <yplace units='cm'>margin.up - 10</yplace>
  </guideLine>

  <guidePoint name=anything>
     <xplace units='mm'>30</xplace>
     <yplace units='mm'>300</xplace>
  </guidePoint>

  <insets type=[text, image/jpg, image/svg, legend, document, ] name=anything src=[file, http, dbconnector..]>
    <insetParam paramName=anything>value</insetParam>
    <insetParam paramName=width units=mm>25</insetParam>
    <insetParam paramName=xposition units=mm>30</insetParam># relative to page margins
    <insetParam paramName=relativeposition >centerpage</insetParam># relative to page margins
    <insetParam paramName=xrelativeposition >middlepage</insetParam># relative to page margins
    <insetParam paramName=xrelativeposition >GuideLineDummy1</insetParam># relative to page margins
    <insetParam paramName=origin >0 0</insetParam>
    <insetParam paramName=origin >middle middle</insetParam>
 </insets>
</page>

<mapStructure name=anything>
  <MapFrameDefID>...
  <MapDefStyleID>...
  <DataSourceCollectionID>...
  <GridStyleID>
</mapStructure>

<mapStructure name=anything2>
  <MapFrameDefID>...
  <MapDefStyleID>...
  <DataSourceCollectionID>...
  <GridStyleID>
</mapStructure>

<MapFrame name=anything>

<box>xmin ymin xmax ymax</box>
<FrameStyle>
  <boxStyle>......
  <backgroundstyle>..
  <ScaleStyle>......
  <insets type=[text, image/jpg, image/svg, legend, document, ] name=anything src=[file,http; dbconnector]>
    <insetParam paramName=anything>value</insetParam>
    <insetParam paramName=width units=mm>25</insetParam>
    <insetParam paramName=xposition units=mm>30</insetParam># relative to frame
    <insetParam paramName=relativeposition >centerframe</insetParam> # relative to frame
    <insetParam paramName=xrelativeposition >middleframe</insetParam># relative to frame
    <insetParam paramName=origin >0 0</insetParam>
    <insetParam paramName=origin >middle middle</insetParam>
  </insets>

</FrameStyle>
</MapFrame>

<mapDef name=anything>
<scale>[any number, automatic]
<mapSRS>EPSG:22634 .......# if no EPSG code is given other tags of forms (may proj4 declaration) can be used for srs definition
<mapExtend>['absolute defined by geographic or planar coordinate', 'relative defined by a boundary of an object']</mapExtend>
<mapAngle>.........

</mapDef name=anything>

<DataSourceCollection name=anything>
  <layer name='mustBeUnique'>.......  </layer> #can be file, url, etc, etc
  <layer name='mustBeUnique'>.......</layer>
  <layer name='mustBeUnique'>.......</layer>
  <layer name='mustBeUnique'>.......</layer>
</DataSourceCollection>

#For this sections is much better use SLD standard????
<LayerRepresentation>
<layerDisplay>
  layerName objectType pallete symbol LUT  SelectionParameters

</LayerRepresentation>

<GridDef>
  <BoundaryDef>[box(xmin,ymin,xmax,ymax), "a geographic object", "a polygon in WKT",......]
  <BoundarySRS> EPSG:
  <BoundaryStyle>palette, color, etc..

  <grid name=geo>
      <gridSRS> EPSG:
      <gridStyle type=[grid, marks,...] >palette, color, xinterval, yinterval, labelingStyle, marksymbol,linesymbol.......
      <LabelingStyle>font, size, color, orientation, template, offset
   </grid>
   <grid name=planar>
      <gridSRS> EPSG:
      <gridStyle type=[grid, marks,...] >palette, color, xinterval, yinterval, labelingStyle.......
      <LabelingStyle>font, size, color, orientation, template, gridOffset
   </grid>

<GridDef>

</Map>

I hope no forget anything!!!.

Please make the comments you think appropiate

Regards

Gabriel Asato
Unidad Sensores Remotos y SIG
Servicio Geológico Minero Argentino