[Carto] Building on Mapnik

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) tmitchell at osgeo.org
Wed Mar 3 17:12:28 EST 2010

Seems like months ago since I talked about this.. oh, it WAS months ago :)

For those of you who may be new, most of our ideas have been captured
(some refined, some raw) here:

http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Cartographic_Library

I'm considering trying to see if we can get a summer of code project
approved this year but coupling it to Mapnik or QuantumGIS in
particular.  That is, unless some other project sees the benefit and
would like to work with me to write up the soc proposed idea on this one
again.

Last year, some of the other mentors didn't thought we should not start
'new' projects - e.g. a collaborative approach to the "cartography
engine" idea.  So instead, by coupling to an existing project, there
should be less concern.  But I was in a rush last year ;-)  Now we can
do it properly.

See first couple sections here for a summary/workplan:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Cartographic_Library

Interested?

Tyler