[Workshops] Re: FOSS4G Workshop Reminders

Tim Schaub tschaub at opengeo.org
Wed Sep 23 11:43:18 EDT 2009

Hey-

Mark Leslie wrote:
> Tim Schaub wrote:
>> Also, can you suggest any practical limits on the size of the data we
>> should upload?
>
> I don't have the drive-size handy, but I would think under a few hundred
> megs would be safe.

Oop.  Good to know.  We're already in violation of this.

I've been working under the (very conservative) assumption that we will
not be able to rely on the internet connection.  In order to provide
something interesting for the workshop participants to look at, we're
bundling a fair bit of data in the GeoServer we hope to have set up (for
a few workshops).

I know the CCIP was supposed to result in some data being available.  I
admit I haven't looked that hard to figure out if this was successful
(that is, the workshop machines will already be loaded with useful data).

It is a bit late to start reworking the workshops to use only CCIP data
(if this will be available).  I think my practical alternatives are to
1) depend on everyone having access to the internet or 2) trim down the
data we rely on.

Let me know if you have any suggestions regarding these choices.  (At
this point, I've already sold myself on the second.  We were using some
aerial imagery with built in overviews that I can probably heavily crop.)

Thanks,
Tim

>> Thanks,
>> Tim
>>
>> Jeff McKenna wrote:

>>> FYI here is the exact time that the files are due:
>>> http://timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?year=2009&month=09&day=29&hour=7&min=30&sec=0
>>>

>>> -jeff

Tim Schaub
OpenGeo - http://opengeo.org