[Workshops] Lessons learned - workshops & tutorials

Eric Lemoine eric.lemoine at camptocamp.com
Wed Sep 15 03:50:23 EDT 2010

On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 9:08 PM, Oscar Fonts <oscar.fonts at gmail.com> wrote:
> Also interesting to know your opinion! It will help to improve future
> conferences.
>
> I missed almost all the Conference due to 'force majeure'
> circumstances, so have little idea on how Tutorials went...
>
> * Workshop venue: It is worth to have workshops in a separate venue
> with permanent computer rooms?
> * Tutorial venue: Were the rooms big enough? What about internet
> connectivity? (well, I could guess on that).
> * Schedule,
> * Catering,
> * Assistance...
>
> Comment on whatever you think remarkable for the future.
>
> My own personal lesson has a name: Paul Wickman. Any news from him? :)

Hi Oscar,

Here's my feedback (which Bruno, the other instructor for the Python
workshop, shares):

* Workshop venue: It is worth to have workshops in a separate venue
with permanent computer rooms?

I think that having the workshops in a separate venue is not a
problem. This year's venue was really nice, in many ways.

Now regarding having permanent computer rooms or not, it doesn't
matter to me, as an instructor. I guess instructors just want working
computers and projectors. I'd tend to think that permanent computer
rooms is less work and less stress for the organizers, but I depends I
guess. And again, this year's computer rooms were great, almost no
problem with the computers, and the required software was properly
installed and functional.

I'd be great to have Linux boxes eventually :-)

* Tutorial venue: Were the rooms big enough? What about internet
connectivity? (well, I could guess on that).

I've seen uber full rooms, and rooms with left seats, so it's hard to
tell. The wired internet connectivity worked fine for us.

* Schedule,
* Catering,
* Assistance...

All the above were excellent. I particularly appreciated the
assistance for the workshops.

Regards,

--
Eric Lemoine