[OSGeo-Conf] OSGeo/FOSS4G '07 Location

Jeremy Morley jmorley at ge.ucl.ac.uk
Wed Aug 30 07:08:09 EDT 2006

Venka, (and anyone else!)

The demo will be in a session on 26th September in Goa just before an
ISPRS Commission IV meeting. There are details of the meetings here:
  http://commission4.1uphost.net/symposium.html

Our demo content is still evolving ;-) but the general theme is tracking
of disease spread following major flooding. The case study is of the
spread of Leptospirosis following the flooding of Mumbai and its
surroundings last year (end of July/early August). The scenario involves
a health worker recording disease cases in the field and reporting them
back to base over a low bandwidth (eg GPRS) link.

Scenario sequence
1 Health worker in base office accesses variety of information regarding
status of flooded region: CSW, WMS, WFS, WCS.
2 PDA is sync’ed with desktop computer holding the information gathered
in #1.
3 Health worker travels to field surveying for evidence of disease
spread: possibly from medical clinic, possible mobile.
4 Cases are recorded on PDA, e.g.
     Location of worker
     Date of record
     Home location of patient
     Age & sex of patient
     Date of first symptoms
     Family size
   (attributes to be examples, not necessarily definitive)
5 At local base, worker can browse latest images (etc.) via link to home
server (here, ICEDS), e.g. to map change in flood extent.
6 Worker decides on most useful maps to download as updates to PDA.
7 Case records can be uploaded to central server (WFS-T).
8 When back at home base, PDA can be sync’ed with server to upload
remaining records.

We're still looking for contacts in India, particularly with experience
in Leptospirosis outbreaks and/or this particular outbreak, or with OGC
services that might be relevant. We plan to use the Mumbai Freemap as
one source of data but haven't had much luck finding other relevant data
services in India.

We'll be cascading all WMS (etc.) requests through our ICEDS service
(http://iceds.ge.ucl.ac.uk). The idea is that ICEDS is acting as a proxy
of sorts and will compose the maps requested by the PDA in order to
limit bandwidth needed to download update maps to the PDA. ICEDS will
also host the WFS-T. We use mapserver mostly on ICEDS but will be using
geoserver and PostGIS for the WFS-T element (but mapserver will provide
the WMS interface to PostGIS).

The PDA end will be proprietary technology built by a company here in
the UK called Comsine.

I hope this is enough background.  Any ideas or contributions welcome!

Regards,
Jeremy