Funding conferences

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at ccgis.de
Fri Mar 31 07:33:15 EST 2006

Hi,
the FOSSGIS was funded by people paying for 2h workshops (€99,- each)
and sponsors:
http://www.fossgis.de/wiki/index.php/MesseSponsoring

We could use the premises of the University of Bonn free of cost
including the technical infrastructure with excellent connectivity via
LAN and 100 WLAN accounts.

This left us with a rest of money that we want to get rid of.

:-)

It is not much - really it is only very little but the question was
raised how to proceed with this.

We would like the next conference to be organized through this OSGeo
committee, mailing list, infrastructure and thus be able to better
coordinate with other conferences. So ideally we would like to use the
money to fund the OSGeo conference committee and be able to use some of
it for next year's conference - at least as a fall back option if
participation should not be as high as expected (which will not happen
if you ask me).
We are pretty positive that we can start to request for a fee to attend
the next German lang conference, there are enough people who will also
attend it it does cost something. Additionally we decided that the
conference should stay focused on users who are already into it so that
we can keep the high standards. New users will need to be informed and
infected with the OSGeo virus through trade fairs, conventions and
thematically specialized conferences. The initial intention of getting
as many people to the user conference as possible to spread word is not
that important anymore.

Just some more ideas.

Best, Arnulf.

PS:
Which mailing list is to be used by conference.osgeo? I suggest to
remove all but dev and announce, it is hell to keep track all of the lists.