Conference Name results

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at dmsolutions.ca
Sat Nov 18 20:30:35 EST 2006

I have finally tallied the naming results:

OSGeo: 5
FOSS4G: 11
FOSSGeo: 1
Abstain: 1

So it's clear that people want to keep the FOSS4G name.

Even though the FOSS4G choice received the most votes, we have to try to
keep everyone happy here.  I've heard some talk of the conference
wording as "FOSS4G 2007 Presented by OSGeo", and I think that is an
excellent idea - keeps both FOSS and OSGeo supporters happy.  This would
also go well with the domain foss4g.osgeo.org

So I move (or "propose"?) that both sides compromise and, for the
purposes of moving forward, agree to the "FOSS4G 2007 Presented by
OSGeo" name.

****

I also want to use the names listed on the wiki page
(http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Conference_Committee) as our official
committee members:

     * Jeff McKenna (Chair)
     * Claude Philipona
     * Markus Neteler
     * Allan Doyle
     * Olivier Ertz
     * Steve Lime
     * Alain Grignon
     * Daniel Rappo
     * Arnulf Christl
     * Dave McIlhagga
     * Helena Mitasova
     * Venkatesh Raghavan
     * Thierry Badard
     * Luc Maurer
     * Frank Warmerdam

That would mean that only those members get to vote on any upcoming
issues.  New members would have to be first nominated and the existing
committee would vote on including them.  Non-active members can also be
removed.

I'll try to add some more committee guidelines to the wiki.  In the mean
time I wanted to get the naming results out, so we can hopefully move on.

jeff