[OSGeo-Conf] FOSS4G 2007 - whats in a name?

Michael P. Gerlek mpg at lizardtech.com
Sun Oct 1 23:13:06 EDT 2006

As a VisCom Guy and now a Branding Tsar too, I'd point out that we chose the name "OSGeo" back in Chicago to represent us -- that is, "OSGeo" is the banner and brand under which we are to bring our messages, goals, hopes, dreams, etc, to the great unwashed masses.  We have already invested considerable time and effort into the OSGeo name, and we will continue to do so.

Presumably, and also as per discussions in Chicago, the OSGeo name already supports the union of the memes "free", "open", etc.

Marketing 101 teaches you about dillution of brand names: having our main yearly event be named something other than OSGeo just confuses the market.  Yes, I know the name FOSS4G is already out there and has some brand equity -- but not as much as OSGeo already has, I think.

Sorry guys, but -- from a marketing standpoint at least -- "FOSS4G" needs to be forgotten by all of us as quickly as possible.

-mpg