[OSGeo-Conf] FOSS4G07 Banner Ads

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Tue Jan 9 12:44:12 EST 2007

When preparing the graphical identity stuff, we should get a suite of
web banner ads available that we can either pay to place on some high
traffic GIS sites (directionsmag?), or simply place on some of our own
project sites (mapserver, postgis, etc)

(Amusing story, I was looking at the GITA site to see what kind of list
selling they do (doesn't look like they do, bummer) and they sell
advertising... $400-800 a month, for banner ads, depending on placement.
And they have site stats... they get 115K page views, 24K visitors...
wait a minute... so I check the postgis site stats and sure enough, we
do twice the traffic GITA does!)

Anyhow, I think having banner ads on the top project sites (postgis,
mapserver, grass, qgis, etc) would be very helpful.  Hopefully we can
prevail upon folks (particularly osgeo member projects!) to host banners
for a few weeks around key times (call for papers, opening registration,
end of early bird).

Paul