[OSGeo-Conf] Re: [FOSS4G2007] Conference Topics

Allan Doyle adoyle at eogeo.org
Tue Jan 30 19:01:53 EST 2007

On Jan 30, 2007, at 18:45, Michael P. Gerlek wrote:

> Who do *I* want to attract?  In an ideal world, I would like to
> hang out
> for a few days with the movers and shakers of
> cool/new/novel/impactful/exciting/paradigm-breaking projects that
> are...

FOSS4G2007 - not to be confused with Where 2.0

> * in the geo realm, in the open source realm, and looking to push
> further
>
> * in the geo realm, aware of open source, but not yet using OS
> components
>
> * in the open source realm, but not yet spatially enabled and
> looking to
> learn how

Which brings us back to (a) developers and (b) the meeting of the
tribes.

> I'm not sure I could sit through another presentation on why "open
> source is a good thing" and how "geo is the next big thing".  I'd love
> to have a crowd who already have bought into both of those memes, and
> are looking for the "next steps".

I could see some benefit to an "outreach" thread that educates people
about open source geo.

But that's not why most of the tribes show up. FOSS4G should be about
sharing, coordination, and establishing/renewing relationships. That
will extend the open source geo realm in useful ways.