[OSGeo-Conf] Who's Got Next?

Helena Mitasova hmitaso at unity.ncsu.edu
Sun Dec 21 00:22:22 EST 2008

Eric,

how about taking the lead and organize the 2010 regional North
America OSGEo conference in Denver?
it could even be at the same time you had in the proposal (Barcelona
is in early Sept, NA OSGeo would be in December so no conflict there).
I am sure many people from US would welcome a conference closer to
home, especially those in all levels of governments and academia who
cannot afford to travel overseas - this has been discussed a lot on
the OSGeo list after this year's conference.

At the same time I would like to re-iterate my previous suggestion to
organize big world OSGeo conference/congress every other year,
choosing a different continent each time (this would also address the
issue mentioned by Paul about being upfront which geographical area
is preferred) and devote the year in between for regional conferences
so that more people have access to OSGeo events.
And we could still have the smaller annual project or state/national
conferences or symposia  as some of them have longer history than
OSGeo itself.

Helena

P.S. As for the Eric's notes behind the votes for Barcelona - only
those who casted their votes can explain their reasoning (maybe
something we should include in the process ?) but it may be as simple
as the proposed time - early september may work better for more
people than december - or as subtle as "where do I want to go to
visit versus which place would be better for OSGeo?" , so the
politics and issues of power may not play a role at all.

Helena Mitasova
Associate Professor
Department of Marine, Earth
and Atmospheric Sciences