[OSGeo-Conf] Format questions for 2009 conference

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 17:11:55 EST 2008

In Sydney we are currently putting together a budget for a 2009
conference and would like feedback on Conference length, and relying on
participants having laptops.

We are basing our bid largely upon information we have gleaned from the
2007 conference.

So our suggested agenda is:
4 days conference, including 1 day worth of workshops.
1 extra day for a code sprint, which will be conducted as a low key
afair. (Lunch, internet connection and office space provided) Possible
nominal fee for attending code sprint - say $40 to ensure we only get
people who are interested and don't have to buy lunch for hangers on.

1. For our workshops, we are proposing that participants bring their own
laptops. (We can set up a laptop hire program for those who don't have
one). This will reduce our computer costs and risks.
We are making a bet that an OSGeo live CD will be available by 2009 and
using your own computer should be a realistic option with minimal fuss.
Any objections?

2. Is 4 days, including workshops long enough? We considered a 5 day
conference, but have heard that 5 days is longer than the majority of
conferences. Non-core SW developers (which will be a large proportion of
the attendees) might not last 5 days. Also, 5 days is 20 to 25% more
expensive. (We note that attendees seem to be price sensitive, based on
accommodation booked).

3. We are focusing our spending on "value" items instead of "fluff". Eg,
use B&W programs rather than glossies, and not provide things like satchels.

might miss our deadlines.

--
Cameron Shorter
Geospatial Systems Architect