[OSGeo-Conf] Format questions for 2009 conference

Michael P. Gerlek mpg at lizardtech.com
Mon Jan 7 17:34:08 EST 2008

In my humble opinion, you guys are right on for items (2) and (3):

* I'm in favor of a five day event: 1st day for workshops, 3 days for
"regular stuff", and an optional, extra credit 5th day for sprints.
This works out to your "baseline" attendee having to spend three full
days on the ground, which seems about right.

* No bags, fancy badges, or color glossies: please-oh-please don't give
me yet more stuff to carry around / throw away / recycle / give to my
kids.  I'm likely to have my own carry bag anyway, thanks.  B/W/grey
handouts are just fine, especially if printed nicely.  And fancy badges
with add-on ribbons that say "Hey, Look at Me, I'm a Special Person!"
make me cringe.

Item (1) is a bit trickier, though: yeah, a bring-your-own/rental plan
would seem to make direct financial sense, but I'd have deep fears about
the logistical IT overhead of getting a couple dozen random laptops all
up and running quickly..?

-mpg