[OSGeo-Conf] Fwd: [Board] wondering about short interest in proposals this year

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 17:40:10 EST 2008

In addition to comments so far:

If a bidding city is not selected, it should not be taken as a refusal,
but rather a "please rebid next year". This is what we were thinking in
Sydney. If  we lost 2009, then Sydney would have been a strong contender
for 2010 or 2011.

We should be developing a culture where cities expect to put in 2 or 3
bids before winning the FOSS4G conference. It will help OSGeo create
long term plans about moving the conference around the world.
The conference committee should be providing feedback to unsuccessful
cities, possibly ranking the results to help the cities refine their
rebid and know whether their region will likely be selected the
following year. ( I'd strongly encourage Europe and Central/South
America to consider bidding for 2010 and 2011.)