[OSGeo-Conf] Re: [Foss4g2009] What domain name for foss4g2009?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Jul 22 22:12:22 EDT 2008

Cameron Shorter wrote:
> Tour Hosts are setting up a web site for foss4g 2009 and we need to set
> a domain name.
> So far, there doesn't seem to be much consistency in the domain names:
>
> http://conference.osgeo.org/index.php/foss4g/2008
> http://www.foss4g2007.org/
> http://www.foss4g2006.org/
>
> Options we have, with my comments are:
> http://foss4g2009.osgeo.org
> +1 This is my preference
> It associates foss4g with osgeo and ensures that osgeo will always
> control the domain name.
>
> http://foss4g2009.org
> -0
> This means we will either have to buy all domain names like this now, or
> face a domain squatter stealing the domain from us.
>
> http://2009.foss4g.org
> -0
> This doesn't link osgeo to foss4g.
>
> http://foss4g2009.conference.osgeo.org
> -0 This url is getting a bit long.

Cameron,

My opinion is that we should register www.foss4g2009.org and have it
redirect to http://conference.osgeo.org/index.php/foss4g/2009 - similarly
to what we did for 2008, and ensuring we service the url folks expect it to
be at.

I can register the domain when desired, but I'm not entirely clear on how
we normally put the redirection in place.   A SAC ticket would be appropriate
to get this done.

Best regards,