[OSGeo-Conf] "OSGeo Teach-in

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 18:16:27 EDT 2008

Very exciting proposal and I agree with the general principles.
I've read a sample of board emails, but not all, so please forgive me if
I'm covering old ground.

* OSGeo is a not-for-profit which gives it a very powerful reputation in
the broader community. As the proposal stands, it looks like OSGeo is
selling its brand name and I think this will be detrimental in the long
term.

* The proposal is missing one of the key elements of the Open Source
Business model. Ie, all material used for the "teach in" should be
provided for free under an open license. Conference organisors can sell
their services (as presenters).

* It is desirable that local OSGeo communities become self sustainable.
To that end, using local resources (if available) should be encouraged
in preference to international resources.

* I don't think OSGeo can show favours to any company over another. All
privileges offered to a conference organisor by OSGeo needs to be
offered to every other company.
OSGeo might say "First to register for an area gets the conferece". But
what is to stop Clever Elephant registering for conferences in all
regions over the next 5 years, thus monopolizing the market.
The other alternative is that 2 conference organisors might register to
hold competing conferences in the same city and OSGeo will need to back
(or not back) both conferences equally. I think the 2nd option is
slightly better.

* OSGeo should allow all conference organisors presenting the official
OSGeo material to list themselves on OSGeo websites and promote
themselves at OSGeo events (at the Conference organisor's expense).

* There will be a market for an "OSGeo Teach In" in Australia.  There
was a request for a workshop along these lines a few weeks ago.

So here are my proposals for a policy:
1. All material presented at "OSGeo teach ins" must be Open.
2. OSGeo should put its name behind the material presented, but not the
organisor.
3. There should be rules in place with regards to when a conference is
held (and possibly content) so that it doesn't clash with FOSS4G.