[OSGeo-Conf] "OSGeo Teach-in

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 21:16:32 EDT 2008

Paul, I want to preface my email by noting that I'm very hopeful that
you are able to build a successful "Teach In" conference series and that
it is very lucrative for you. Where possible, I want to help make it
happen for you, and ensure the OSGeo community maximises the value
offered at the same time.

There is nothing wrong with using a proprietary business model for your
conferences. You put in the effort building the content, you have every
right to sell it.

However, I feel that OSGeo would be selling out on its principles if it
were to actively support a proprietary business model. In particular, a
proprietary tutorials program will likely undermine the effectiveness of
OSGeo's education program as potential sponsors of the education program
turn to the proprietary material, and contributors produce proprietary
content instead of open content.

Open Source has a very effective community marketing value which I
understand you want to tap into, but I feel you need to make a choice.
Either:
1. Go open, and make use of the OSGeo brand, or
2. Go proprietary, and build your own brand.

(A side note, I wouldn't under estimate your personal "rock star"
drawing appeal).

--
Cameron Shorter
Geospatial Systems Architect