[OSGeo-Conf] "OSGeo Teach-in

Paul Ramsey pramsey at cleverelephant.ca
Mon Jun 9 17:42:53 EDT 2008

The board has already made a decision: to ask the conference committee
to develop a policy. Unless or until the conference committee delivers
a draft policy back to the board, there won't be any further
decisions, I imagine.

I'm not going to make an effort to publicize a spat over an event, I
would much rather spend my credibility budget publicizing the event
itself, once I know exactly what it is going to be called, where it
will be and when it will be.

If you are wondering what kind of reception it will get, note that the
two variants of response so far have been:

"That's a great idea!" and
"That's a great idea, but I have philosophical objections!"

Everyone has a different philosophical objection, so I have reconciled
myself that I am not going to be able to meet everyone's bottom line.
Jo and Markus want something European. Arnulf wants nothing commercial
under the OSGeo banner. You want creative commons materials. Someone
else wants student scholarships.

I, however, don't want to please everyone, just the 300 people who
come to the event, who I want to experience well-developed material,
in a professional setting, from the properly compensated people who
know the topic, and send them home thinking "wasn't that great!".  If
OSGeo is unwilling to RECEIVE $10000 to be associated with such an
event, so be it.

P.