[Board] Re: [OSGeo-Conf] "OSGeo Teach-in

Dave Patton davep at confluence.org
Tue Jun 10 19:45:36 EDT 2008

On 2008/06/10 4:08 PM, Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> jo at frot.org wrote:
>> FOSS4G Workshops are always oversubscribed, both for presenters and
>>  attenders. As Hobu put it, the economics are "screwed" - it takes
>> a lot of time and effort to develop the materials. The workshops
>> provide a large part of the conference revenue; the reward for
>> presenters is token (one free entry?).
>>
>> So i would like to know a lot more about what the potential impact
>> would be on FOSS4G of holding separate workshop events, anywhere in
>> the world. I'd like to know if the conference commitee is satisfied
>> with the way FOSS4G is positioned and run now.
>
> Jo,
>
> To me the first paragraph answers the second.  If we always have more
>  presenters and attenders than we have space for at FOSS4G then there
> is no reason to believe that other events will have a noticable
> impact on FOSS4G workshops.

However, if "other events" start to be held, it may
have an impact on the demand for FOSS4G workshops.

If you read that as meaning 'negative impact', keep
in mind that it is also possible that it may increase
demand for some FOSS4G workshops (e.g. if a 'new'
workshop has been offered outside of FOSS4G, and
proven to be popular).

"Other events" may also have an effect on people's
perception of FOSS4G workshops/labs, in terms of
course materials, topics, duration, presenters, costs, etc.

As far as "FOSS4G workshop economics", Paul already
pointed out the 'close to break even' nature of the
"Workshops Monday" for FOSS4G2007. However, I think
there is too much of an inter-relationship with the
2007 workshops and 'the rest of the conference' to
take any real conclusions from that economic analysis.

What would happen to a FOSS4G that didn't offer any
workshops? Or only offered 90-minute labs as part of
the conference program?

If "workshops" (vs "labs") are viewed as 'part of'
FOSS4G conferences (even though they may be at
a separate date/time than the main conference program
and be an 'extra cost item'), then what happens to
'the rest of' a FOSS4G program if the demand for the
associated workshops diminishes? Could FOSS4G be a
success if it included "labs" but no "workshops"?

--
Dave Patton
CIS Canadian Information Systems

Degree Confluence Project: