[OSGeo-Conf] Re: 'OSGeo Teach-in

Dave Patton davep at confluence.org
Fri Jun 20 11:12:00 EDT 2008

On 2008/06/20 7:08 AM, Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> Arnulf Christl wrote:
>> I also think that the policy of abstaining from discussion of this issue
>> because of a potential conflict of interest does not make sense. Having
>> this policy in place is obviously necessary. But if the result is that we
>> cannot run the foundation anymore then probably the topic in
>> discussion is
>> not compatible with our mission. Maybe we should first talk about this.
>
> Folks,
>
> I would note that the conflict of interest policy was modified to ensure
> that those with a declared conflict of interest may still participate in
> discussions, but they may not vote for or against any conflict-related
> motion.

http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Conflict_Of_Interest_Policy

What is on the wiki page could be worded a bit better
in places, and could be modified in places to be clearer,
but if it represents the current view of the Board, then
perhaps the most practical course of action is to make
use of it, and let it evolve as needed.

It should be clear that this is a "Conflict of Interest
Policy", not a "Policy to Prevent Conflict of Interest".
It's a conflict just for the Board to be the ones to write
the policy that applies to themselves ;-)
If there is enough interest, discuss the policy at the AGM
at FOSS4G2008, and/or have a BOF session about it.

--
Dave Patton
CIS Canadian Information Systems

Degree Confluence Project: