[OSGeo-Conf] An introduction.

Sunburned Surveyor sunburned.surveyor at gmail.com
Mon Jun 23 11:03:37 EDT 2008

I didn't realize there was a list for conferences until I Arnulf
posted something about a "teach-in" to the OSGeo Discuss mailing list.
I thought I would subscribe to this list.

I'm one of those guys who doesn't get employee sponsored trip to open
source conferences, so I'm very interested in how we can encourage
more local small-scale conferences. I'd also like ot find out more
about how these events could be used as fund-raising/marketing
opportunities for OSGeo.

I'd like to explore the possibility of putting together an OSGeo
conference or seminar in Central California. I'm in Stockton, but I'd
be willing to help organize something in Sacramento, Tracy, or even
Fresno if there was interest. Perhaps we could coordinate a one-day
OSGeo seminar with another GIS-related event?

I've got some (limited) connections with a local GIS user group, the
local chapter of the California Land Surveyors Association, and with
the civil engineering program at the local community college and
university. All of these contacts could prove useful in organizing an
event and promoting attendance.

Landon