[OSGeo-Conf] RE: FOSS4G Sydney and conference software

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Tue May 20 18:22:37 EDT 2008

Looking at this from Tour Host's perspective, and making some
assumptions about Tour Hosts:
1. Tour Hosts have a commitment to OSGeo to provide a professional,
smooth conference.
2. Tour Hosts have a reputation to maintain to ensure that all their
conferences are professional.
3. Tour Hosts has sunk cost proprietary software to manage all aspects
of conferences which integrate with their existing work processes.
4. So there will be a cost and more importantly, a risk associated with
integrating another Conference managing software with that used by Tour
Hosts. Is there professional support for the OS software at an
affordable price? Yes, we could rely on volunteers, but if I were Tour
Hosts, I'd consider relying on volunteer effort for this as high risk,
and high impact if issues are not resolved.
5. I think we can also assume that Professional Conference Organisors
(PCOs) will be engaged in all/most future conferences, so the above
assumptions will hold true for future conferences too.
6. All PCOs will have conference software they already use.

I suspect that conference software has become a commodity item and that
there is little to be gained by using the same software every year.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

So at the moment, my gut feeling is keep risk and hence costs down by
using Tour Hosts' existing processes and infrastructure. I love using
Open Source more than most and would like to be convinced otherwise but
sometimes we also need to be pragmatic.

--
Cameron Shorter
Geospatial Systems Architect