[OSGeo-Conf] FOSS4G impact survey - possibility?

jo at frot.org jo at frot.org
Tue May 27 19:45:47 EDT 2008

dear all,

There has been some discussion on the Board list about the importance
of workshops to FOSS4G and the extent to which a dedicated workshop
event in the Spring might affect attendance at the FOSS4G conference.

http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/board/2008-May/002462.html , e.g.
following up from the workshop event proposal -
http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/board/2008-May/002444.html

One problem is that many of us may have a "gut feeling" about whether
attendance at FOSS4G could be negatively affected, but we can't know.
I wonder whether a "user survey" would be a useful tool and help
reflect reality, or just a distraction. It could be a chance to get
some broader feedback on FOSS4G and what the OSGeo community expects
from it, in a form more constructive than a limited email discussion.

I would imagine it looking something like this:

* Did you attend FOSS4G in previous years?
* Are you planning to attend FOSS4G in future years?
* What other FOSS or GIS conferences will you likely attend?

[less likely------------not affected------------more likely]
* If FOSS4G was cheaper would this affect your decision?
* If FOSS4G was more expensive would this affect your decision?
* If a smaller conference at a different time was more local to you
would this affect your decision to attend FOSS4G?
* If a dedicated workshop/training event were available more locally
would this affect your decision?

Forgive me if this looks too woolly or variable to provide useful
information. I'd just like a way of getting more concrete and
quantifiable information about how adjustments in the conference
policy would affect the user community. Plus you lot are the experts,
right? :)

jo