[OSGeo-Conf] Two parallel conferences proposal: OSGeo-tech and OSGeo-Biz

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Thu Oct 2 11:23:08 EDT 2008

We just enjoyed a great conference in South Africa...!
It was great to meet all those being present there and some
virtually - thanks for the hard work!

<idea>
Thinking about future conferences, after speaking to a couple
of people, I wondered it the following proposal makes sense:

Have two conferences in parallel, in different continents with
- one being low cost, hacker oriented, maybe at a university,
- one being more costly, business oriented, in a conference
  center.

This may accommodate probably better the needs of these
two groups. While I like the mixture, it probably no longer
scales with growing number of participants.

I know that a number of people would like to do more coding.
They will be happy with pizza and such.
Business and sponsors would be probably happy to see more
customers passing by to actually create more OSGeo business
cases.

Having two conferences in parallel and moving these around the
globe brings each of them "close" to you every second year.
Additionally, OSGeo-Biz could more easily generate money
for the local team and OSGeo (think cross financing, too, fly
in good speakers and so forth).
</idea>

Well, just my private idea for 2010+ conferences,

Markus