[OSGeo-Conf] Two parallel conferences proposal: OSGeo-tech and OSGeo-Biz

Paul Ramsey pramsey at cleverelephant.ca
Sun Oct 5 16:54:11 EDT 2008

I don't know how much context to leave...

On Sun, Oct 5, 2008 at 1:35 PM, Markus Neteler <neteler at osgeo.org> wrote:

>>> If we go too far away from our geeks we just get disconnected.
>>> OSGeo is *community* (including those who don't have much money),
>>> let's not leave them behind.
>>
>> What are the action items here, please, and who is going to act on them?
>
> Action item:
> - consider to provide a place with enough plugs to get laptops connected
>
> Who is going to act on them
> - hopefully the next conference organizator. The overhead is low, just a
>  set of cables and a couple of chairs/whatever
>
> Not sure why you react so aggressive here. It's my personal suggestion
> based on discussions with *several* people (> 10). I am bringing up
> here also *their* concern, not only mine. I'll urge them to post the same again
> on this list (ah, they won't be subscribed to this list...).

There's a lot of conceptual distance between "two parallel
conferences" and "we need a better room for ad hoc meetings". The
latter can be added to the RFP, the former involves a complete
re-working of what the conference is *about*.  The aggressive comes
from the implication that the conference organizers are somehow
leaving the technical people "behind", and in your earlier email (>>>)
a general statement that things aren't technically oriented enough
without a commitment to do something about it.

Since you are talking to Tim already, good. Make your needs clear,
ahead of time.

If we had the same organizer every time, things could proceed more
easily on a "just like last time, only with this alteration" basis.
But a new committee every time feels like people are re-inventing the
whole thing every time around, which is a lot more work that it
probably needs to be.  Different discussion though.

P.