[OSGeo-Conf] The Funding Problem

Helena Mitasova hmitaso at unity.ncsu.edu
Sun Oct 5 20:02:25 EDT 2008

On Oct 5, 2008, at 6:01 PM, Paul Ramsey wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 5, 2008 at 2:13 PM, Markus Neteler <neteler at osgeo.org>
> wrote:
>> On Sun, Oct 5, 2008 at 10:54 PM, Paul Ramsey
>> <pramsey at cleverelephant.ca> wrote:
>>> There's a lot of conceptual distance between "two parallel
>>> conferences" and "we need a better room for ad hoc meetings".
>>
>> Sure. The second is needed in my opinion but does not address
>> the funding problem for many people.
>>
>> Anyway, I guess that I have said enough.
>
> No, what is "the funding problem" and what would a solution look like?

I think that Markus refers here to the relatively high cost of
registration and travel
for the more formal type of conference.

How about doing an "OSGeo world conference" every other year with
cheaper
less formal conferences between - these could even been regional/
continental
to minimize travel cost.
Many organizations have a big world congress once in 3-4 years
and annual regional conferences in between, but we are small so we
can have the
world conference more often.
This would avoid having two conferences in one year and splitting the
community
and it should provide both the worldwide  meeting and the more
informal one.
And of course, the world congress would still have space for the
"working, coding
meetings" along with keynotes, business and technical sessions and
everything
that belongs to a more formal congress.

Just a suggestion,

Helena