[OSGeo-Conf] The Funding Problem

Dave Patton davep at confluence.org
Mon Oct 6 11:39:56 EDT 2008

On 2008/10/06 8:13 AM, Paul Ramsey wrote:
> If the way I am communicating is stressful to you, I think it would
> be better than I shut up, than you leave.

When communicating via email, and when it is done
in English, which may not be everyone's native
language, what a person 'said'(wrote) in their
email may not be what is 'heard'(read). In fact,
that applies to native English speakers as well ;-)

When someone sends an email to a mailing list, they
are in effect 'speaking to the room', not to any
specific individual. Replies are in effect 'to the
room' as well, and framing replies in general terms
may help communications. For example, if I send an
email to a list, a reply that starts with 'if someone
thinks that is a good idea' might be received better
than if the reply starts with 'if Dave thinks that
is a good idea'(i.e. I already know it's a good idea,
but other people might not see it that way :-)

--
Dave Patton
CIS Canadian Information Systems

Degree Confluence Project: