[OSGeo-Conf] usage of "FOSS4G"

Jason Birch Jason.Birch at nanaimo.ca
Wed Oct 8 13:04:11 EDT 2008

That's understood, but I don't think that FOSS4G is widely used in a
conference context other than for "the" FOSS4G event, so I think (IANAL)
that we would probably have a protectable brand in this context.

If that's the case, we have to make a choice.  If we care whether other
conferences use the FOSS4G brand, then we need to exert Trademark
rights, and then deal with all the crap that entails (enforcement, etc).
If we don't care whether other conferences call themselves FOSS4G, or
use the FOSS4G brand for portions of their conferences then we don't
have to do anything.

I don't think we have much to worry about, just want to make sure that
we're aware of the choice we're making my choosing not to protect the
FOSS4G conference brand.

Jason