[OSGeo-Conf] Speaker Discounts

Dave Patton davep at confluence.org
Thu Oct 9 16:35:27 EDT 2008

On 2008/10/09 11:20 AM, Paul Ramsey wrote:
>  If we were
> willing to up the general fee structure slightly and knew we were
> going to have something like 700 attendees on 120 speakers, we could
> at least provide a discounted admission to speakers.
>
> If we wanted to, that is. Do we want to?

Whose decision is it? OSGeo, or the LOC?

To be fair, it could be argued that if
Workshop Instructors get X discount, and
Lab Instructors get Y discount, then
Presenters should get Z discount. With
historical percentages of X and Y, the "Z"
discount would be in the ballpark of 15%.

As an alternative to Frank's suggestion about
discounts for "the top 12 rated" presentations,
you could provide delegates with coupons or
tickets or tokens, and they get to put them
into boxes for each presentation they attend.
Only presentations that are given, and which
attract enough 'votes' and/or attendance, will
get the reward. Some sort of 'rating' at the
conference overcomes the possibility of doing
the reward based on what sounds like a good
presentation, but turns out not to be so good.

Or, maybe consider a mixed approach. If there is
to be a discount for Presenters, and there is
pre-conference voting on submitted Presentations,
award "the top N" with a discount(in the form of
a cheque they can pick up at the conference).
Then also have some 'at the conference' awards
for 'good' presentations. Just to spice things
up, award one randomly selected Presenter with
a large(50%? 100%?) discount - the odds of winning
will be better than a lottery, and all you have
to do to have a chance is get your presentation
submission accepted, attend the conference, and
deliver your presentation.

--
Dave Patton
CIS Canadian Information Systems