[OSGeo-Conf] Speaker Discounts

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Oct 20 11:52:39 EDT 2008

Arnulf Christl (OSGeo) wrote:
> Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) wrote:
>> On 10-Oct-08, at 12:51 PM, Daniel Ames wrote:
>>
>>> I've personally never been to a conference where the regular
>>> presenters got free registrations but it was very nice to have the
>>> complimentary registrations for the workshop and lab organizers. - Dan
>>
>> It's interesting to compare with this AAG event, where you have to be
>> registered before you can even submit an abstract.
>>
>> http://www.aag.org/annualmeetings/2009/index.htm
>
> Hi,
> Tim is right and I like the idea that people who give away their crown
> jewels know-how are not on top of it punished by having to pay for it.
> On the other hand missing presenters in Cape Town was number one
> complaint by far. So we will have to do something about it - if the
> respective LOCs have good suggestions - I am all open for ideas. If not
> it might well be necessary to have people sign in before they can even
> submit. I think that we are comfortable enough with current numbers of
> submitted proposals to raise the bar a bit.

Folks,

With regard to missing presenters, I think the key is to "close the circle"
and confirm that presenters are registered to attend, and confirmed with
a follow up email.  This should be done before finalizing the program
and printing it.

I know that at least some presenters had made some effort to notify the
conference they would not be attending and presenting and that others had
never registered and perhaps assumed their presentations would be removed
from the roster.

I do not think it is critical to require paid registration before we
do a preliminary acceptance of presentations.

Best regards,