[OSGeo-Conf] Re: [Foss4g2009] Setting schedule in stone for labs/workshops/tutorials for Foss4g2009 - please vote

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Oct 28 11:44:40 EDT 2008

Cameron Shorter wrote:
> Yes, Shoaib summarises our reasons.
>
> In addition, we are likely to be holding the workshops in a computer
> training centre ~ 20 minutes walk from the Conference centre, so a half
> day of workshops followed by half day of presentations will not go well.
> So either we have 2 days of workshops or 1.
> I believe we need 3 days of presentations/tutorials because the
> exhibition area is next to the presentations, not next to the workshops.
> And we want delegates milling around the exhibitions.
>

> I agree that labs with "bring your own computer" will be problematic and
> we should discourage it, pushing tutorials instead.
> However, we might want to let some advanced labs go ahead, targeted at
> geeks only (who don't mind using a LiveDVD).

Cameron,

Ah gotcha.  I like the idea of a training center for the workshops.  I am
supportive of dropping the during-conference labs, and potentially doing
some bring-your-own-laptop type sessions as an experiment.

Sorry for dropping my oar in without having followed all the previous
discussion.

Best regards,