[OSGeo-Conf] 2011 Discussion

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Sun Mar 1 22:49:03 EST 2009

Paul Ramsey wrote:
> I've started some thoughts here, including Helena's idea from last
> year on splitting the conference up...
>
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_Reboot_2011
>
> I don't think we can repeat the bid process unchanged for 2011, so we
> have a chance to make major changes if we like.

Paul,

I too am worried about the onerous amount of preparation we ask of
bidders; much of which is reviewed then discarded.  My preference is
the "Modified Status Quo" approach of a lighter weight preliminary
round.

I'm leery of the two track approach because to me it means I'll only
see the "whole community" once every two years.  But it does have some
good aspects.

I would also like some contemplation of whether FOSS4G may be too
expensive, and commercial in approach and whether we could aim for
more modest venues and a more community feel (as I understand is the
case with FOSSGIS).

On a related note I see on the Foundations mailing list that folks
are having a lot more trouble attracting heavy weight sponsorship
for big expensive conferences.  Google indicates they have substantially
downsized their conference sponsorship spending.

Best regards,