[OSGeo-Conf] Re: FOSS4G Registration Metrics

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Mon Mar 8 21:13:43 EST 2010

Oscar,
I'm CCing Gavin who would likely provide insight into 2008 registration
metrics, and Paul may also have some thoughts re 2007, and the
conference-dev (for achiving).

If you haven't alaredy done so, have a look at the source data at:
http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Al9zh8DjmU_RdEZoOUtSeVZRVWtKQzV6R2N5ekdSdlE&hl=en_GB

My assessment on how why we got such I high kick in registrations before
Early Bird was because we really pushed out the press releases before
the early Bird, see:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_2009_Press_Releases

Also, if you look at where people heard about foss4g, it was all about
viral marketing.

We had community leaders forward on the press release for us (as did
Paul Ramsey) and I think that made a big difference for us in reaching
our audience.

Have a look at the cover emails on the Press Release page for example
emails we sent to community leaders.

We continued to push hard with our marketing right up to the end,
focusing on the local market. In particular, we managed to get some
extra local contact lists from one of the local conferences, and I
suspect that would have attracted 20 or so people.
But I think the real reason for the late kick in numbers is that people
just forget to book until the last minute.

--
Cameron Shorter
Geospatial Solutions Manager

Think Globally, Fix Locally