[OSGeo-Conf] 2011 Stage Two

Lorenzo Becchi lorenzo at ominiverdi.com
Thu May 20 02:34:43 EDT 2010

I would stick to the three year rotation until OSGeo finances will be stable
enough to grant the director's wage (I do believe we need a professional
director) and possibly offering some professional output for the community:
* liveDVD
* Free GIS book
* unified builds repositories
* other useful stuff

IMO, OSGeo needs to show that's is doing something more then all those
beautiful things that are the daily bread of a geek.
We need things that a non-geek can say: "wow, that's useful, thanks OSGeo!"
at the same time, all this product can be used to rise the appeal to
potential sponsors:
* a book is forever (almost) and a logo on the second page is cool...
* liveDVD prints annually and same as above
* ...

I believe that this professional stuff can't relay 100% on a volunteer
effort. We need to grant continuity and quality. With little money we can
really make the difference.

now it's time to come back to FOSS4G 2010, the break is ended :)
Lorenzo

On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 10:21 PM, Cameron Shorter
<cameron.shorter at gmail.com>wrote:

> I missed commenting on the discussion the first time around.
> My vote is for the 4 year conference rotation mentioned:
>
> Europe
> Other
> North America (possibly including Central/South America)
> Other
>
> I think this will set a pattern for "bigger/smaller/bigger/smaller"
> conferences which will make planning in future much easier.
>
> Ie, I expect there will be local conferences set up in the "smaller" year.
> Also, it means that OSGeo finances will be much easier to manage if there
> is more consistency in the income derived from the conferences.
>

> Paul Ramsey wrote:
>
>> International year is referenced a number of ways in different
>> documents. The thread at the top of this page
>>
>> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_2011_Bid_Process
>>
>> references an "Other" year, with some discussion but no resolution.
>> The page itself references Asia / Pacific. I am not sure we ever made
>> an official determination past 2011.
>>
>> P.
>>
>> On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 5:51 AM, Dave McIlhagga
>> <dmcilhagga at dmsolutions.ca> wrote:
>>

>>> I believe we agreed to a 3-year rotation:
>>>
>>> 1. Europe
>>> 2. North America