[OSGeo-Conf] Two important programmatic questions/comments

Eric Wolf ebwolf at gmail.com
Thu May 27 13:58:48 EDT 2010

Denver LoC:

There are two significant comments made about the proposed schedule that I
think we should explore.

1. The workshops may be much more valuable than the code sprint. The
suggestion is to cut the code sprint to 1 day and have 2 days of workshops.
I think this is an excellent idea. But I'd like to put forward the idea of
instead of an official "code sprint", we setup WhereCamp5280 for the weekend
following (maybe even just one day) to 'catch' the spirit of the conference
and turn it into something actionable. This may just be a matter of
semantics (code sprint vs. unconference)

2. FOSS4G 2010 has had very strong demand for presentation spots. This may
be even stronger for us in 2011. Paul suggested that it is best to expand
the time dedicated to presentations rather than increase the number of
parallel tracks. His suggestion was to decrease the closing plenary. I am
amenable to this suggestion as there is a fairly direct relationship between
number of accepted presentations and number of participants (I should find
numbers to prove that statement). Another option I'd like to explore is
adding a poster presentation session. Especially for students, this provides
a great avenue to show off project work (again, increasing attendance).

Please give me your feedback on these ideas. Grant, the schedule is probably
the least important detail at this point.

-Eric

Eric B. Wolf                    New! 720-334-7734
USGS Geographer
Center of Excellence in GIScience
PhD Student
CU-Boulder - Geography