[OSGeo-Conf] Code of Conduct at Events?

Eric Wolf ebwolf at gmail.com
Wed Nov 10 00:20:21 EST 2010

My ex-wife is a social worker. She works as an advocate for victims of
domestic abuse. She can recount numerous times talking to Sheriffs,
Pastors, Rabbis, and other community leaders who would respond simply
stating "we don't have domestic violence in this community." The truth
is domestic violence is as likely in a mansion as it is a trailer
park. It's just more likely to be brushed under the rug in the
mansion.

As much as I'd like to be able to agree with Jeff and Peter - that
"sexual assault doesn't happen at FOSS4G", I can't help but look
around room at the lot of us - all white males - and think we may be
taking something for granted: the well being of our conference
participants.

Having a statement in the program, at the very least, helps victims of
assault feel like they are being heard. It brings to the surface what
is a real issue; making everyone aware that the problem is real. And
maybe, it'll make some people realize they need to grow up or help
others have the courage to stop someone before they do something
stupid.

>From our perspective, it's a page in the program. From a victim or
potential victim of assault, it could be much more.

-Eric

P.S. I'm aware that the argument against is "where do we stop such
tangential inclusions?" I mean, do we need a statement denouncing
genocide? or discouraging heroin use? I'm not sure where to draw the
line but since the linked posting states "unwanted sexual attention up
and to including fairly serious assaults is not unusual at at least
some FLOSS events." I'm inclined to include something like the
suggested statement - or enlist an organizing committee member to
investigate the matter and decide where the line should be drawn.

Eric B. Wolf                           720-334-7734