[OSGeo-Conf] Conference sponsorship in a muilti-FOSS4G world

Seven (aka Arnulf) seven at arnulf.us
Mon Oct 10 06:16:25 EDT 2011

Jo,
this is a great idea that we should explore further. Just throwing in
some ideas...

* "be a FOSS4G Sponsor and appear everywhere" (Platinum level)
* "pick your locations" (Silver level, up to three / x locations)
* "be a local sponsor" (Bronze level, one conf. only)

Then all FOSS4G efforts would effectively be routed through OSGeo and
profit from our financial backing, organization, timing, press and
marketing and in return give part of their income back.

Others can continue on their own - if they prefer, those like FOSSGIS,
gfoss.it, FOSS4G in Tokyo and Osaka, etc.

Another idea would be a franchise system. You own the conference but you
do it the way that OSGeo tells you to and pay money to do so. That would
obviously tend more towards the commercial aspect of FOSS4G but in
return it could help fund a separate meeting of the tribes and
potentially even subsidizing developers to go there.

The meeting of the tribes event could turn into an 'invitation only' /
'really expensive for outsiders event' geared towards the development
aspect of the software and limited to 250-ish attendees (OSGeo sponsor
have preferred attendence). Which would make this something like an
extended inter project code sprint which I personally think would be
very useful indeed.

Cheers,
Arnulf.