[OSGeo-Conf] Re: Motion Regarding FOSS4G-CEE Name

Daniel P. Ames dan.ames at isu.edu
Tue Oct 11 19:38:09 EDT 2011

Dear Conference Committee,

My interest in this discussion has been, partly, to determine what we should
call a regional FOSS4G meeting that we are organizing in Arnhem, The
Netherlands, June 25-28, 2012.

This meeting was originally conceived as the 3rd International MapWindow
User/Developer Conference, however we've been encouraged by several from the
Dutch OSGeo community to expand our get-together to be a more general
regional FOSS4G event.

Given the discussion that just occurred, we think it would be appropriate to
use a suitable "FOSS4G..." name for this meeting - perhaps "FOSS4G-The
Netherlands" or "FOSS4G-NWE" ("North and Western Europe" as a complement to
the "Central and Eastern Europe" meeting discussed here).

It seems appropriate that we should send a formal notice to the conference
committee at least as a good-will measure, describing our event plans.
Perhaps this could be viewed as an opportunity for the seasoned conference
committee members to help mentor those of use doing such regional events.

Our notice would also indicate an appropriate good-will donation" to OSGeo
for the use of the name. I am thinking of a donation along the lines of €15
from each registration.  Does this sound reasonable?

Another question... would there be an appropriate wiki page to list these
regional meetings?

- Dan

Daniel P. Ames, Ph.D. PE
Associate Professor, Geosciences