[OSGeo-Conf] Conference for Central and Eastern Europe

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 17:15:32 EDT 2011

I think this is a great idea, with the following suggestions:

* Set up a convention where the local event is at a different time of
the year to the annual foss4g, (ideally 4 to 6 months apart)

* Try to pick a date which doesn't class with local events in other
parts of the world, so both events can both draw upon the same
international speakers.

* Don't hold a local conference in a year when the annual foss4g
conference is in your region.

* Consider aligning with other geospatial conferences in your region.
Maybe taking a couple of days before an event, or taking responsibility
for a theme within another GIS conference. Again, this makes it easier
to attract both speakers and delegates. I was very impressed with
Denver's event, which backed onto both the SoTM and OGC events. I'd be
very interested to hear from event organisors how much cross over there
was between events.

On 17/09/11 06:49, Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) wrote:

> Sign me up for both! Even if I can't attend I'll be helping to 'hold
> the rope' as much as possible as you climb these new mountains.
>
> Tyler

Cameron Shorter
Geospatial Director
Tel: +61 (0)2 8570 5050